Treatment for Joint Injuries, Ligament and Tendon Damage, Fractured Bones
Adult stem cell therapy is:
Stem Cell Therapy is a veterinary procedure that is helping more and more animals recover from painful injuries and other maladies every single day. Veterinary practices across the country, including ABC Vet, are incorporating this method of care into their menu of services in order to best help our patients and to set our clients' minds at ease.
It's important to mention this up front because stem cell therapy has been controversial. The controversy, however, has centered on the use of embryonic stem cells in human medical procedures.
Adult stem cell therapy for veterinarians has been approved for use in the United States since 2003.
It has proved to be effective for treatments in dogs, cats, and horses, and causes few, if any, side-effects. Unlike the use of embryonic stem cells, there are no moral or ethical concerns in harvesting these adult cells from your own pet, activating them, and reintroducing them back to the patient in areas where healing and regeneration is needed.
Adult stem cells are found in the bone marrow, fat tissue, skin, liver, blood vessels, and neurons. They have the ability to divide and differentiate into many different types of cells based on where they are needed in the body of your pet. Stem cells can turn into tissues such as skin, fat, muscle, bone, cartilage, and nerve to name a few.
We can use adult stem cells as a treatment for joint injuries, ligament and tendon damage, and fractured bones.
The stem cell therapy procedure is quite simple.
- First, we ask that you not feed your pet the night before.
- On the day of the procedure, we will anesthetize your pet and surgically extract the equivalent of two tablespoons of fat. This extraction is quick, simple and minimally invasive.
- The fat will then be processed to separate the stem cells, which can be completed in as little as two hours.
- After the stem cells have been concentrated, your pet will be sedated and the stem cells will be administered into the affected areas.
- There are no absolute guarantees in any medical procedure, but statistics show that positive clinical improvements have been seen in 95% of the arthritic cases treated with adult stem cells. We expect you will begin to see improvement in your pet within the first 90 days following treatment, if not sooner.